Friday, January 18, 2019

More "Who Am I?"

Other than the fact that the coming forecast includes nasty words like "snow" and "ice" and "negative wind chills," this is sort of like a summer Friday.

So far in Princeton, there has been one somewhat serious accumulation of winter weather, back on the night of Nov. 15. Remember that? TigerBlog does, especially the amazing wind that was blowing the snow all over the place all night.

On that night, it took forever to get wherever it was you were going, since nobody was really ready for winter weather back then. Heck, that was even before Princeton's football season ended.

Since then, there has been one small dusting of snow and a few flurries here and there. TigerBlog is very much okay with that.

Is the coming weather a sign that winter is about to ramp things up? TB hopes not. It seems like the last few years, the worst of winter shows up in February and into March and then tries to hang around into April. TB would be fine if that didn't happen.

TigerBlog still hasn't seen a reliable forecast about just how much snow is going to be here this weekend. Why can't he just find a weather report that will say "the snow will start at this moment. It will continue until this time. In between you'll get this much snow. Have a nice day."

Anyway, it's going to be wintry. So why is it like a summer Friday?

Because there are no Princeton athletic events this weekend, that's why.  There aren't many weekends quite like this. There were a few last weekend and will be a few next weekend. This weekend is nothing.

The last time there was a weekend without a single event was the weekend before Christmas, which wasn't that long ago. The time before that was mid-August. The next time will be June.

This weekend, of course, is because of first semester exams, which cause a very rare free weekend. It's quite a contrast to the weekends TB described yesterday, the ones coming up in February that will be here in no time.

Also like on a summer Friday, it leaves TB without much to talk about, at least nothing that's pressing. There's a ton out there on the horizon of course, with winter teams who are going to jump into the sprint to the finish line just as soon as Feb. 1 rolls around.

But what about today? TB thought about it, and he decided to give you a few more "Who Am I?" quizzes, like the one from last week about Howard Levy. In fact he thought about making Howard the answer to all three of these, but he didn't.

So, here are six quizzes. Your hint is that the first three are alums and the last three are current athletes.

You can cheat by looking in the record sections on goprincetontigers.com if you want. TB will entertain any guesses, and he'll have the answers Monday.

The alums:

1) Who Am I?
I have the top two single-season point totals in Princeton women's basketball history, but I am not the all-time leading scorer in program history. I did score at least 32 points in game three times in my career.  I am also in the top 10 in program history in rebounds and free throws made and attempted, but not in three-pointers made.

2)Who Am I?
Excluding events that are no longer contested, nobody currently holds a Princeton men's track and field record longer than I have. That record, the one that has stood the longest, is actually in a different event than the one I competed in when I was in the Olympic Games.

3) Who Am I?
I am in the top five in Princeton men's hockey history in career goals, assists and points, and I had more than twice as many of each in my NHL career than I did at Princeton.

And the current athletes:

1) Who Am I?
My best single-game rushing performance this year was 104 yards better than the next best by any of my teammates this year - and the fifth-best single-game performance in program history.

2) Who Am I?
I'm a freshman on the No. 4-ranked team in the country and I'm tied for the team lead in goals right now.

3) Who Am I? I'm the only player on the men's lacrosse team who had at least one goal in every game last season.

Okay, what are the answers?

TigerBlog will have them for you Monday. Hopefully there won't be too much snow on the ground by then. 


No comments: